Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Adventure Begins

After more than a decade of talking about it, I finally did it. I published a book. A memoir even. And soon others will have a chance to read what I've been holding inside.

I think the book might even be described as "a good book." But I'm the author. Authors don't get to decide. It will only be a good book if those who read it want others to read it too. And, a few weeks from now, I may begin to find out if that's what has happened.

Until then I continue to wait.

My waiting has not been unproductive, however. I've spent the time thinking some pretty incredible thoughts (if I do say so myself). The thoughts are more like answers to private questions, or the collective outcome of my personal contemplations. In particular, I've been revisiting a question I first entertained nearly 16 years ago: "What did I hope to accomplish by writing a book anyway?"

No matter when I ask myself the question or how I pose the question to myself, I return to a single answer: I want to get conversations started.

And that probably doesn't surprise anyone who knows me.

So...I'm growing more eager with every passing day. I can't wait to see how the conversation begins.

1 comment:

Hoopes said...

After knowing Joy as a young girl growing up in NE Iowa and then to rediscover her after moving to Forest City myself I am so impressed with the incredible family that Joy and Mark have. I had the great fortune to meet Stross and Skye and all I can say is that they are both happy, engaging young men. To meet and spend time with Joy, Mark, Stross, and Skye is a very heart warming experience because you soon realize that despite the trials they have all went through - they are a family that loves each other deeply and unconditionally. We need more people in this world like Stross, Skye, Joy, and Mark.